Saturday, March 14, 2009

Santiago Es...

So I have been at Bella Vista Hostel in Santiago a little longer than expected now... But because I like it here. There are cool people here. Germans, Spaniards, Americans, Canadians, Australians and even some Norwegian guys that I might be heading to Mendoza with on Monday.

Everyone here seems to have the same purpose: Learn Spanish, see all of the big cities and have some rough experiences in smaller towns, while spending as little money as possible. Here they buy beer buy the litre and share it in small glasses. I have yet to try the national drink, Pisco, but maybe I will tomorrow...

I met a cool guy from Oregon, USA, who is riding his bike from Southern Chile all the way back up through Mexico and the US back to his home. I'd like to try something like that one day. I have photos but am struggling to work out how I'll put them on the internet... The computers aren't so great here.

The plan now is to catch a bus to Mendoza, stay a few days and then hitch hike to Buenos Aires. I have met several people who have hitched and they all tell me it's easy and quite safe.

For the moment though I am living slowly. Reading my Jeffrey Archer book while sunbaking on the roof of the hostel, with a view of San Cristobel only a few hundred metres away. I can't wait to get out and see Argentina and some small towns... Experience some culture. Learn some more Spanish.

Saludos!

PS I love getting emails from home.

1 comment:

  1. holy shit man who gives a fuck, it's not worth it. don't hitch man. only do it if you equal or outnumber the people in the car to start, you gotta be with at least one other person. i wouldn't even do that in sorrento again man. come on. not worth the risk. plus they're crazy as drivers, busses may not be much better but you've got more of a chance of surviving on impact, unless you go off a cliff, which i've heard happens

    ReplyDelete