Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Humahuaca (oom-a-warka)

Since my last blog post, I have been to Salta in Northwest Argentina where I stayed in a dorm by myself for a few days and practised a lot of pool. It was really quite boring and I did absolutely nothing touristy. Nico, a friend from France that I met in Buenos Aires, told me he was in a town called Humahuaca, about 5 hours away by bus, so I decided to pay him a visit.

The bus trip saw towns get progressively smaller and higher. Humahuaca is almost 3000m above sea level. The town is small but really cool. It has a tiny bit of tourist infrastructure but not a huge amount. It´s extremely hot in the sun during the day, but the nights are absolutely freezing. I had to borrow a jacket from a friend last night because, even with four layers, I was still really cold.

Nico introduced me to some locals (his Spanish is a lot better than mine) and we had dinner at their house last night. Nico left today as he had to catch a flight back home, but they invited me for dinner again tonight. How could I say no?

Here are some photos of Humahuaca

No garden to speak of, but at least they have FOX Sports

Goats!

A child at the place where I get my food here


Cacti

On the way to the hostel

The monument overlooking the town

Around Humahuaca

Damian at work making jewelry before dinner

Nico making dinner

Me in Humahuaca
So I´ll be off to Bolivia either tomorrow or the next day, which I´m really looking forward to. I might stay longer here if I can organise to go and see some nearby pre-Inca ruins. The altitude of the towns I´ll be visiting in Bolivia means Dengue won´t be an issue, so it should be a fun time!

1 comment:

  1. by saying "oh no I'll be fine but thank you very much for the offer". that's how you could say no. Dengue's gonna get you Inca Paterson, it thrives on cockiness.

    ReplyDelete