Thursday, April 23, 2009

Iguazu Falls!

I left Rosario for Puerto Iguazu (The town in Argentina near the falls) on Monday night, and arrived after 16 hours on a bus. I booked a cama (almost a bed for a seat) which was very comfortable but I didn´t manage to get any sleep until 5am. They woke me up at 6 for breakfast. I fell asleep again afterwards and was woken up when we arrived.

The hostel here is great! It has a huge pool out the front and the weather is great so I´m making the most of it.

On Wednesday, however, we had horrible weather. It was cold and wet all day, we decided to visit the Brazilian side of the falls. They are situated on a river which divides Brazil and Argentina. We caught buses to Foz Do Iguazu which is the town on the Brazilian side and then a bus to the national park. Despite the rain, we had a good time and had some great views of the falls. We even had time for a Brazilian beer before our bus left to take us back to Argentina!

On the Argentinian side you can walk around the falls, see them from above and below and even go swimming. From a certain point, you could take photos of the falls with a rainbow that formed in the mist... Awesome. We had great weather and perfect blue skies (photos coming soon!)

The highlight for me was The Devil´s Throat, which is the biggest fall in the park. The boardwalks allow you to get within metres and look down into the mist created by the water. The energy was pretty amazing! We just stood and stared for a long time before we even thought about photos.

I am planning to spend my day in the sun by the pool tomorrow, and then catch a bus in the evening to Corrientes. It´s a small town near the Paraguayan border. I need to go there to try and get a visa for Paraguay, where I will visit a friend working in the Chaco region with natives. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment