Thursday, May 7, 2009

From Humahuaca to Salar de Uyuni

The aforementioned dinner was fantastic. We ate gnocchi with roast beef, and I was invited for a farewell dinner the next evening where we ate some more great food! Louis, an Argentine who is travelling the country selling jewellry, made me a wrist band with the Andean flag the Argentinian flag and the the cross of the sun which is somehow really relevant to people in the region, my Spanish wasnt good enough for me to understand why.

As I wanted to see some ruins, I rented a crappy bike and rode 12km uphill to where I thought they were. All I found was a small town. A lady there informed me that you actually have to trek for a day on foot before you get to the ruins. I did however get some great photos of some huge cacti, which I probably wont be able to upload until I find a decent computer... The internet in Bolivia is not so good.

The next day I caught a bus from Humahuaca to the Bolivian border and then a bus from the border to Tupiza, a cool town where you can ride horses through the surrounding canyons. We (myself and some travelers I met at the border) didnt. We did however visit a bar that Nico recommended, where we had a few drinks on arrival and then he put on a BBQ for us the next day. El Indio Feliz (the happy indian) was the name of the bar. The owner had only been in town 20 days but he had already established the place well. The hotel we stayed at in Tupiza cost $10 per night for comfy beds, nice rooms with private bathrooms and full breakfast service in the morning.

Myself and Hanna, a friend from Germany, left after a couple days for Uyuni. In Uyuni you can take cheap 3 day tours of the nearby salt flats, rock formations and coloured lagoons. The train that we caught from Tupiza was a little scary. I woke after a few hours of sleep and looked out the window to see that it was a sheer drop into a gorge below. We arrived in Uyuni at midnight but quickly found a hotel. We spent the following day searching for a tour company to take us to the salt flats, and by the end of the day we had found one. The seemingly dodgy salesman turned out to be really helpful

On Monday we set off in our Land Cruiser for the salt flats with a couple from Australia and a couple from New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment