Friday, May 8, 2009

Salar De Uyuni

The salt flats of Uyuni were pretty amazing. Driving in a Land Cruiser across sheer white and completely flat ground was a great experience. The perspective is pretty much non existent as there are no objects with which to judge distance, so you can get some pretty cool photos.

We saw coloured lagoons, llamas, flamingos and some cool rock formations (apparently youre not supposed to climb them, but they didnt tell us that until afterwards!).

One of the highlights for me personally was the offroading. It reminded me a lot of four wheel driving as a kid (not driving of course) and I think Ive caught the outdoors bug again (Dad, the Hilux might go missing for a few weeks when I get back!). My only real regret of this trip is not having brought camping gear, which makes it difficult to hike and you miss out on a lot of cool places.

Adam, an a American living in Sydney, and his partner Reena, who used to work as a reporter for Prime, were great fun and a wealth of information. They are nearing the end of their around the world trip. Graeme and Mel from New Zealand were also really cool fun, and I picked up a few New Zealand-isms along the way. Hanna and I enjoyed the whole experience and playing arsehole (a card game) in the freezing cold evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment